Traditional Jamaican curry is made with scotch bonnet peppers and Jamaican curry powder. It's a bold, flavorful dish that's cooked slowly over low heat, allowing time for the spices to develop. It contains pieces of juicy chicken (usually thighs), along with carrots and potatoes.
- 1 pack of chicken drumsticks (16-20oz)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp of curry powder
- 1 tbsp of green seasoning (optional)
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp of freshly chopped ginger
FOR THE POT
- 2 tbsp of olive oil (any preferred oil )
- 1 1/2 tbsp of curry powder
- 100ml of coconut milk (1/4 can ) & 1/4 cup of water mixed
- 1/2 cup of water (add in throughout cooking process)
- 4-6 baby potato’s (cut into 4)
- 2 medium carrots peeled & chopped evenly
- 2 crushed garlic cloves (chopped )
- 1 whole scotch bonnet or 2 tsp of cayenne pepper seasoning
- 3 sprigs of thyme ( alternatively use 1 tsp of dried thyme)
- 4-6 pimento seeds
- 1/2 tsp of honey (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of mixed herbs
- Place washed chicken into a clean bowl and season with seasonings listed. Mix together and marinate overnight or a minimum of 1hr in the fridge.
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a frying pan and place on medium high heat. Once hot, add onions and garlic to brown for 2-3 mins.
- Add an additional 1 tbsp of curry powder, 1 tbsp of olive oil and the chicken to the pan until it is brown on both sides (around 10 mins).
- Add coconut milk & water mix. Now add baby potatoes, carrots, pimento seeds, whole scotch bonnet (be careful not to pierce), thyme and a 1/2 cup of water. Also add an additional 1 tbsp of curry powder.
- Here is where you add a touch of honey (optional).
- Now, Cook and simmer for an additional 25-40 mins - (until chicken is cooked through).
- Mix well and serve with rice, vegetable, roti or whatever you like.