In this Sicilian recipe, we'll use simple ingredients such as garlic, chili pepper and oil to create bold flavors in just minutes. The most unique part about this dish is the fact the sauce is kept raw and tossed in – don’t just be intrigued, try it for yourself and make sure you have enough for a second helping!
- 300 g Spaghetti quadrato/Chittara 11oz
- Small bunch Fresh parsley chopped
- 3 - 4 Garlic cloves chopped
- 2 Hot chili peppers
- 6 - 7 tsp Pecorino romano grated
- 2-3 slices Stale bread
- Extra virgin olive oil EVOO
How to Make the Breadcrumbs
- Break up your slices of bread into small pieces so they fit easily into your food processor or blender.
- Blend the bread for a few minutes until you’re left with fine breadcrumbs – just not too fine!
- Put the frypan on a stove and turn the heat to medium before adding the breadcrumbs with a few drizzles of EVOO.
- With a wooden spoon, toss the breadcrumbs for a few minutes until they become brown and crispy then remove from the stove and put aside.
How to make the Pasta
- Slice your chili peppers into thin strips and remove all or part of the seeds depending on your spice preference.
- These can be left long or chopped into smaller pieces.
- Add 5L water to a large pot and put this on the stove. Once it boils add add a tbsp of salt and allow to dissolve.
- Add the spaghetti, making sure they are immersed in the water cook according to the time listed on your packet.
- While the pasta is cooking, add 7-8 tbsp EVOO to a bowl along with the chili and garlic.
- Stir in your sliced chili peppers and 3 - 4 cloves of chopped garlic.
- Add in a generous pinch of parsley then vigorously stir together until well combined and creamy in texture.
- To make your sauce even creamier, stir in a sprinkle of pecorino romano cheese too.
- When your pasta is almost ready, collect a mug full of pasta water and leave to the side.
- Use tongs to strain the pasta and transfer it directly into the sauce then toss using two forks until it’s completely covered.
- Add a splash of pasta water a generous amount of pecorino cheese and fresh parsley, then continue to combine.
- Finally, add a large drizzle of EVOO and toss a few more times.
How To Serve
- Place a hearty amount of creamy pasta on individual flat plates or in shallow dinner bowls then sprinkle breadcrumbs generously on top.
- Finish each dish off with a drizzle of EVOO and a handful of fresh parsley.