Whether you’re negotiating a business deal or making a new friend, there’s a lot of value in getting someone to open up to you.
Here are some ways to get people to open up:
- Listen fully: Put the other person's needs first. Don't preach or give advice.
- Ask open questions: Ask about their weekend, or what they like.
- Be honest: Build trust and credibility by being honest.
- Make eye contact: Hold the other person's gaze for a few seconds to show you're engaged.
- Find common interests: This can help you feel more comfortable with someone.
- Make people feel comfortable: Let them know you value your relationship and ask what they need to feel safe.
- Be patient: People who have a hard time opening up may gradually do so at their own pace.
Other ways to get people to open up include:
- Active listening
- Sharing and self-disclosure
- Acknowledging your own desires