- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup+3 tbsp buttermilk
- preheat the oven to 425F or 220C
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the buttermilk until it's combined
- Transfer to a work surface lightly dusted with flour and shape into a ball about 2 inches in height.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking pan and use a very sharp knife to cut a deep cross in it.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
TIP: If you don't have buttermilk you can make your own by taking one cup of milk and adding a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to it and letting it sit for five minutes.
Here is another version of the same bread. Same ingredients but slight difference in measurements and cooking time as it is a bigger loaf. Also using a cast iron skillet.
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice sat for 5 minutes)
- Stir and kneed ONLY TO COMBINE
- Place in a parchment lined cast iron skillet (or a preheated pan)
- Cover with foil and bake at 425°f for 30min
- Remove foil and bake for 15 min
- Rub with butter and cool on a wire rack