Eggplant rollatini is a dish consisting of thin slices of eggplant that are fried and rolled up with a ricotta filling, and then topped with sauce.
For the Eggplant:
- 1 lb / 453g eggplant, cut into 1/2 to 1/4-inch thin 8 slices
- 1 tsp / 4g salt
- 1/2 tsp / 2g pepper
- 3 Tbs / 45ml olive oil
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Handful fresh basil, sliced, plus more for garnish
- Zest from 1 fresh lemon
- 1/2 tsp / 2g salt
- 1/4 tsp / 1g pepper
- 3 Tbs / 60g shredded parmigiano cheese
For the baking dish:
- 1 1/4 cup / 300ml marinara sauce
- 8 oz / 226g mozzarella, shredded or thinly sliced
- Pre-heat over to 425F
For the eggplant:
- Place slices on baking dish
- Drizzle oil on eggplant slices and top with salt and pepper
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool
For the rollatini:
- Put some sauce in the bottom of the dish
- Add some filling to an eggplant slice and roll it.
- Place the roll into the dish.
- Top with a slice of cheese.
- Bake at 425F for 25-30 minutes.