1909 MICHIGAN FEDERATION RECIPE
"Whites of 6 eggs beaten stiff, 2 cups sugar, 6 tablespoons cracker crumbs, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 cup chopped English walnuts, 1 cup cut dates. Bake in slow oven 1/2 hour. Serve with whipped cream"
Dylan's Yesteryear Recipe
- Whites of 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (65g) fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup (75g) chopped, dried apricot (or dates, figs etc..)
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF (165ºC).
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan or pie pan with a circle of parchment paper. Lightly grease both the parchment and sides of the pan.
- Beat the egg whites and salt to stiff peaks.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff and glossy.
- Gradually fold in the graham cracker crumbs, then fold in the dried fruit and walnuts.
- Turn into the pan, smooth the top, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The top should be a pale gold color when done.
- With the pan remaining in the oven, turn the oven off and leave the door ajar for 30 minutes. After which, transfer to a wire rack and cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Free the sides of the pan with a sharp knife and invert onto a serving dish or cutting board. Remove the parchment paper before cutting and serving.