These Grinch Cookies are a delightful holiday treat with a wonderfully crispy bottom and cakey center. Inspired by the classic holiday movie, these green cookies are coated with powdered sugar and topped with a tiny red heart sprinkle. Both kids and adults will love these festive cookies.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (300g)
- 2½ cups powdered sugar (300g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter cubed and softened (113g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- green gel food coloring
- ½ cup cornstarch (56g)
- red heart-shaped sprinkles or cinnamon candies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, 2 cups of powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the butter into tablespoons and drop the pieces into the flour mixture. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add 2 drops of food coloring if desired, and beat until well incorporated, making sure there are no white streaks in the dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and the remaining ½ cup of powdered sugar.
- Scoop the dough into 1½ tablespoon-sized balls. Roll each between the palms of your hands to form a ball, then roll in the cornstarch mixture until well coated. Place each ball about 3 inches apart, on prepared baking sheets and slightly press down on the tops.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the cookies start to crinkle and are lightly browned on the bottoms. Remove from the oven and immediately press a heart-shaped sprinkle or candy on each cookie. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.