The 3-2-1 sleeping method is a sleep hygiene rule that involves specific activities leading up to bedtime:
- 3 hours before bed: No heavy meals or sugary snacks
- 2 hours before bed: No work or admin
- 1 hour before bed: No screens, including phones, TVs, and computers
The 3-2-1 sleeping method is also known as the 10-3-2-1-0 sleep rule:
- 10 hours before bed: No more caffeine
- 3 hours before bed: No food or alcohol
- 2 hours before bed: No more work
- 1 hour before bed: No more screens
- Final 0 minutes: The number of times you hit snooze in the morning. Yes, NONE!
The 10-3-2-1-0 sleep rule promises to help improve the quality of your rest. It can make you brighter, happier, and more alert, and more productive in the day.
The video below is Dr. Stephen Cabral discussing the importance of all of this. If you are looking for just this method; it starts at the 7 minute mark.