Did you know that you can make paint in your very own home? In this experiment, make a spectacular painting using only ingredients from your kitchen cabinet and refrigerator! Using everyday ingredients and tools, embark on a hands-on process that prompts you to ask questions, mix compounds, and analyze materials like a scientist at the Museum.
- 1 egg
- 1 egg carton
- Several teaspoons of water
- Colorful spices like turmeric and paprika
- A small plastic bag
- Notebook or piece of paper
- First, search your kitchen cabinets for colorful spices like turmeric for yellow and paprika for red. Add a small amount of each spice to your egg carton palette.
- For colors that are harder to find like blue, you can ground up a piece of chalk in a plastic bag with the back of a spoon. Once it turns to a powder, add a spoonful to your egg carton.
- Next, crack an egg and separate the yolk from the white. Mix just the yolk in a bowl and add a few teaspoons of water.
- To paint, load your brush with a bit of egg and dip it into one of your substitute pigments. Apply it to the paper, and create your masterpiece!
- Which pigment was easiest for you to work with? Why do you think that is?
- If you’d like, you can take the activity a step further and experiment with other kitchen ingredients to make new pigments. There are endless combinations!
- 00:00 What's in tempera paint?
- 00:40 How to make tempera paint
- 01:16 Create your masterpiece!