Turning TOFU into Vegan Ground Beef is Cheap, Easy and DELICIOUS! You can use this Tofu Ground Beef in just about any DISH!
- 1 package (16 oz) SUPER FIRM (or Extra Firm) tofu
- 1 tsp Beefless Broth (or Veggie Broth Concentrate)
- 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp marmite (or 1 Tbsp Steak Sauce)
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp Browning Sauce (or 1 tsp Vegan Worcestershire)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 heaping Tbsp of Tomato Paste (optional for more umami)
- 1 Tbsp Blackstrap Molasses (optional for Color and Flavor!)
- Remove tofu from packaging and pat dry. You can press the tofu if you wish, but I didn't find it necessary. Crumble into a bowl.
- Make the marinade by combining everything in a bowl. Pour over the crumbled tofu. With clean hands, toss the crumbles and coat thoroughly in the marinade.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper / cooking spray and spread out the tofu pieces in a single layer. Bake at 350 F / 175 C for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the tofu is slightly dried out and chewy. Extra Firm tofu may need an extra 10 minutes, so 30 - 40. I would suggest checking it every 15 minutes if you're unsure so you don't dry it out too much.
- Transfer the tofu to a 12 inch skillet, and add 1 cup of liquid (either water, broth, or a mixture, depending on how salty you want the meat, I suggest tasting the tofu before adding any broth so it doesn't get too salty) and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and then simmer until the liquid is mostly reduced. About 10 minutes or so. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Your meat is done! Enjoy as you wish! Like I said it can be used in just about any application you would use regular ground beef!