All you need are a few kitchen staples, and you’ll have this homemade Tomato Soup ready in no time. Creamy, rich, and flavorful, this easy tomato soup is the perfect cozy recipe the whole family will love. Filled with bright tomato flavor, you wouldn’t believe the soup uses canned tomatoes. Ditch the canned soup because I promise this will quickly become your new cold-weather favorite.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes 28-ounce per can
- 3 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- fresh basil chopped
- In a large Dutch oven, combine olive oil and butter. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes or until very fragrant and just starting to brown.
- Add the tomatoes. Swirl the cans with some of the chicken stock to get the rest of the tomato juices and pour into the pot with the remaining stock. Stir in the sugar and black pepper. Bring to a boil, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue simmering for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse the soup until smooth or your desired consistency. (I do not recommend transferring the soup to a high-speed blender as blending olive oil can turn it very bitter. Mash with a potato masher to break up the tomatoes instead.) Taste and add salt, if needed. Stir in the cream. Serve immediately topped with fresh basil.