Here's a take on a quick chicken shawarma "taco" that you can make on a weeknight. It gives everything you could want out of a shawarma sandwich including the deeply flavorful charred chicken, but is a little lighter than the traditional version and comes together in 30 minutes or less.
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 200g or 3/4c plain greek yogurt
- 20g lemon juice or juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 10g or 1Tbsp garlic powder
- 1g or 2tsp dried thyme
- 5g or 2 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1g or 2tsp dried oregano
- 2g ground coriander
- 5g garam masala
- 1g or 1tsp ground black pepper
- 20g or 3 1/2 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix to combine and coat chicken well. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 20min or up to 8 hours. Add a little less salt if marinating for 8hrs.
- Preheat broiler to high with oven rack set as close to broiler as possible.
- Line sheet tray with foil. place thighs on foil and cook under broiler for 10-12 minutes until a bit of char has developed. After desired amount of char on side 1, flip thighs to second side and continue cooking for another 10-12mins or until internal temp reaches 165F/74C or above. ALWAYS KEEP AN EYE ON CHICKEN while under broiler. Things can burn quickly and cook time varies depending on your oven.
- Thinly slice.
- 150g or 3/4c tahini (loose texture preferred as shown @1:27)
- 30g or 2Tbsp lemon juice
- 100-120g or 1/4c+ water (use more water if your tahini is on the thick side)
- 2g or 1/3tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, roughly sliced
Add ingredients into a high sided container and blend with immersion blender (or in conventional blender) until well blended and saucy.
TOMATO CUCUMBER "Pico de Gallo"
- 150g or 3/4c diced tomatoes
- 125-150g or 3/4c diced cucumbers
- 10g or about 1/4 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 3g or 1/2tsp salt
Mix to combine.
PICKLED PEPPERS (pepperoncini's also work if you don't have time to make these, but i like the sweet pop of my homemade pepper)
- 6-7 banana peppers, cut into rings / 1 quart
- 400g or 1 2/3c water
- 400g or 1 2/3c white distilled vinegar
- 80g or 1/3c sugar
- 8g or 1/2Tbsp salt
Combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Bring to boil. Add peppers and stir to submerge. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Flour Tortillas
- Sliced dill pickles
- Sambal chili sauce
- Thinly shredded lettuce
TO BUILD SHWARMA TACOS
- Heat flour tortillas in a nonstick skillet over medium until soft. Keep warm in tortilla warmer.
- Build tacos by adding chopped chicken, 2-3 spoons of pico de gallo, pickled pepper slices, sliced dill pickle chips, sambal to taste, plenty tahini sauce, and a generous handful of shredded lettuce.