A can of pumpkin in this Pumpkin Chili adds a healthy boost of flavor and nutrients. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and easy to make vegetarian.
- 1 pound ground beef or 2 (15 oz) cans beans
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper diced
- 1-2 small jalapeños seeded & minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 cups chicken broth no salt added, or water
- 15 ounce pumpkin puree
- 15 ounce black beans rinsed & drained
- Heat a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onions, and bell peppers. Cook, breaking up meat, until meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Stir in jalapeños, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes & juices, chicken broth (or water), and pumpkin. Stir well and bring to a boil which takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in black beans and add any additional seasoning if needed. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or longer if possible. If you cook longer than an hour, you might need to add more broth or water (1 cup at a time) depending on your desired consistency.
- Enjoy with desired toppings like cheese, green onions, or cornbread