These deep-fried nuggets of cheese pizza goodness are perfect served with the dipping sauce of your choice. So easy to make!
INGREDIENTS (Makes around 16 nuggets)
- 420 g (3 cups) Self-raising flour
- 260 g (1 cup + 1 tbsp) Milk
- Seasoned tomato sauce
- Any flavorful cheese of your choice
- Beaten egg
- Bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
Self raising flour substitute:
- 420 g (3 cups) All-purpose flour + 4 tsp baking powder
- In a large bowl, mix the self-raising flour and milk.
- On a surface, knead the dough for about a minute or until it comes together.
- If the dough seems dry, you can add an additional splash of milk.
- Divide the dough in two equal parts and wrap well the dough you won't be using immediately.
- Roll out the first dough thinly (it should be as thin as pie crust) into a square shape. If the dough pulls back, cover in plastic wrap and allow the gluten to relax.
- Using a knife, gently trace an outline of the pizza nuggets in the dough.
- Add the tomato sauce and shredded cheese.
- Lightly brush the sides of the nuggets with a beaten egg.
- Roll out the second piece of dough and place it onto your nuggets. Seal the edges tightly pressing down with your hands.
- Using a pizza cutter cut out the nuggets. Seal the edges of the nuggets with a fork and toss the nuggets in the beaten egg and then coat the nuggets in bread crumbs.
- Bring the oil to 170 °C (340 °F) and fry the nuggets in batches until golden.
- Serve with extra sauce on the side.
- The uncooked nuggets can also be stored in ziplock bag in the freezer.
- Try different fillings! But remember a little filling goes a long way.
- Remember to roll out the dough thinly. The nuggets puff up as you fry them.