Soft on the inside but crispy on the outside, these Arepas are so tasty and easy to make. All you need are four ingredients to make them at home. Arepas are so versatile as you can stuff them with all the fillings your heart desires and enjoy them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 2½ cups lukewarm water (100°F-110°F)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pre-cooked yellow cornmeal (285g)
- ¼ cup canola oil (60 mL)
- Filling suggestions: shredded cheese, black beans, shredded pork
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine the water and salt. Using your fingers, gradually stir the cornmeal into the water until a soft and moist dough forms. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough evenly into 8 pieces and roll each piece into balls. Press each ball into a 1/2-inch patty between your palms.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Working in batches, place the patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side, occasionally moving the patties around in the skillet so they don’t stick. Transfer the patties to the wire rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely or until warm. With a serrated knife, carefully cut in half horizontally. Fill with shredded cheese, black beans, shredded pork, or however desired.
If you'd like to try a traditional Venezuelan version. There is the Reina Pepiada. It's basically an Arepa filled with chicken salad. Check it out!
- 1 lb rotisserie chicken
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/4 bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste