-- BASIC BLUEPRINT FOR CREAMY SOUP --
1. SWEAT AROMATICS + GARLIC
- 300g or 3c aromatics (onion, leek, fennel, and/or celery - when in doubt, just use onion), chopped
- 25g or 4-5cloves garlic, sliced
- 30-40g or 2-3Tbsp fat (olive oil or butter)
Preheat large, heavy bottomed pot over medium low. Add fat (olive oil or butter) then aromatics, garlic, and a pinch of salt and sweat for 15 minutes until translucent, not caramelized.
2. ADD STAR VEG +Add COOKING LIQUID
- 1200g or 8-9c of star veg, chopped (examples: butternut squash, asparagus, peas, celery root with potato, cauliflower, sweet corn)
- 1000g/32oz stock
- 500g/1pint heavy cream
Note: liquids should use a 2 to 1 stock to cream ratio
3. COOK STAR VEG UNTIL TENDER
Increase heat and bring to a simmer. When simmering, reduce heat to medium low to low, cover, and cook until veggies are tender (usually 25-30minutes)
4. PUREE VERY WELL
When veggies are tender, add to blender in batches and puree until smooth. If mixture becomes too thick to blend, add just enough additional stock or water to allow it to blend.
5. STRAIN THROUGH MESH
Pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, pressing through with ladle or spatula.
6. SEASON WITH SALT AND ACIDITY
Taste for seasoning then add a strong pinch or 2 of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir and taste again. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
Top with your favorite garnish. I like fried pumpkin seeds, pepper, and a drizzle of nice olive oil.