Black Pepper Tofu features tofu coated in a sweet and salty, sticky sauce with green onions and spicy peppers and is perfect served with rice for a quick and easy weeknight dinner! This delicious vegan stir-fry is made in under 30 minutes using everyday ingredients.
- 400g firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ thumb sized piece ginger
- 1 spring onion
- 1 quarter of red and green pepper - diced
- 1 red onion - diced
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 1 ½ tbsp mushroom stir-fry sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine (or sherry)
- ½ tbsp mushroom stir-fry sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Roughly chop the ginger, garlic, and spring onion. Quarter the red onion and cut into 1-2 cm cubes. Quarter the green pepper, red pepper and red onion. Place on the wok clock starting at twelve with the ginger and garlic, then the spring onion, red onion and, lastly, the peppers.
- Pat the tofu dry and cut it into 1 cm cubes. To the tofu add the mushroom stir fry sauce, 1 tsp of black pepper, and the sesame oil. Fold through with your fingertips (be careful not to break up the tofu). If you are going for a crisp tofu, add 4 heaped Tbsp of corn-starch and coat.
- Make the stir fry sauce with the rest of mushroom stir fry sauce and the sauce ingredients.
- Now you are ready to wok! Add a good amount of oil to the wok, to deep fry the tofu. Drop a piece of tofu in, if it fizzes it is ready. Fold it over a few times to coat with the oil and move it around with a spatula every 1 to 2 mins, for 6 mins, until golden brown. When all the tofu is golden brown, put a spider or sieve into a bowl and pour the tofu into it.
- With the oil left in the wok start working around your wok clock, starting at 12 with the ginger, then the garlic, spring onion, red onion, and pepper. Fold and flick for about 2-3 mins until the onions start to blister. Add the tofu once the wok is smoking hot again. Then add your sauce, and fold and toss.
- Wait for the wok to get smoking hot again and pour veg stock around the edges. Once vigorously boiling, give it a wok toss. Add one final pinch of black pepper and a bit more dark soy to finish it off.