This is SERIOUSLY the best and quickest 5-minute Chili Oil that I’ve made so far. Using simple ingredients and dried aromatics, this chili oil will be YOUR pantry staple.
- 2 tablespoons dried minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- ½ cup gochugaru Korean chili flakes
- ½ cup dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1½ cup of cooking oil* see notes
- Place the dried ingredients in a large heat-proof bowl in this order – garlic, shallot, 2 types of chili flakes. Then, add sugar, salt, and soy sauce.
- Meanwhile, place the oil in a tall small saucepan and heat to 360°F – 370°F (182°C -187°C).
- Carefully pour to the chili ingredients. Hot oil will scald.
- Using a long spatula or a pair of chopsticks, stir the ingredients with hot oil until dry chili flakes can be seen.
- Once cooled, the chili flakes will settle at the bottom and you'll get a layer of oil at the top.
- Store in a jar for future use or serve right away.
- Note that I like more chili flakes than oil. If you prefer more oil, please use 2 cups instead.
- Oil – Yes, you can use flavored oil such as adding bay leaf, star anise, or cinnamon stick when heating the oil.