Easy recipe how to a cook a great whole chicken in the slow cooker along with a few veggies!
- 5 lb. small whole chicken (look for a chicken that is on the smaller size around 4-5 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 lemon (optional)
- 4 carrots - peeled and halved
- 1 red onion - peeled and quartered
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
SLOW COOKER SIZE: 6-quart or larger
- Add the carrots and onion to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Remove the chicken from its packaging. Remove any extra parts or packaging from the inside of the chicken. Drain off any liquid from the inside of the chicken.
- Add the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Pour over the melted butter over the chicken.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze over the chicken.
- Sprinkle over the seasonings evenly.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours. This can vary for each chicken you cook, for they can vary in size. You know the chicken is done cooking when the drumsticks start pulling away from the breasts and the juices run clear. If you are concerned if your chicken is done, use a thermometer. 165° Fahrenheit is the safe temperature for chicken.