Ideally you would make this in the middle of summer with ears of fresh, sweet-as-sugar corn. You can also make a perfectly fine version of this chowder using a premium-quality, extra-sweet, frozen corn.
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, or jalapeno, or combination of any sweet/hot peppers
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 3 1/2 cup water or stock, divided (2 1/2 for the pot, and 1 cup for the blender)
- 1 pound sweet corn kernels, divided
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 8 oz fresh crab meat, divided
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika, or to taste
- green onion to garnish
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; stir in onion, jalepeno peppers, celery, and a pinch of salt. Cook until onions are soft and translucent, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir seafood seasoning and cayenne pepper into onion mixture; cook for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; cook and stir until mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Pour 2 1/2 cups water, 1/2 pound corn kernels, and 2 ounces crabmeat into the onion mixture; increase heat to medium-high and bring to simmer.
- Place 1 cup water, 1/2 pound corn kernels, and garlic into a blender. Cover and puree until smooth.
- Pour corn puree into the Dutch oven and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until chowder is thicker and the color deepens, about 45 minutes.
- Stir 6 ounces of crabmeat, paprika, and heavy cream into chowder. Season with salt and pepper to taste; garnish with green onions and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
- If you have a low tolerance to the heat of the jalapeno you can remove the seeds. That will reduce the heat while retaining the flavor.
- You could also leave out the jalapeños and add more Old Bay and cayenne pepper if you want to remove the jalapenos completely.
- Sautée the onions in 2 pieces of slab bacon for an extra flavor kick.