This post will grow over time as new recipes become discovered. Whether they are plain, cajun or any other variation. A QUICK way to make them would be in an Instant Pot. It's always wonderful to discover a new way of using the Instant Pot (or any pressure cooker for that matter) so why not a southern staple.
- 1 pound of green peanuts
- 1/4 cup salt sea salt or kosher
- 6-8 cups of cold water use filtered or distilled
Preparing The Peanuts
Before making the peanuts you will want to wash them a few times. Peanuts are similar to potatoes in that they are tubers that grow underground. They may have dirt on them. I like to fill up my sink, then add the peanuts and wash them around. Drain the water, then do that a few more times. This ensures you get all the dirt off them. Washed peanuts will result in the possible product.
Cooking The Peanuts
- Step 1 Combine the peanuts, water, and salt in the pressure cooker.
- Step 2 Stir until the salt has dissolved.
- Step 3 Add the trivet on top and place a pyrex dish or bowl on top of the trivet.
- Step 4 Put the pressure cooker lid on and turn it to lock. Close the pressure relief valve to the sealing position.
- Step 5 Use the manual setting on the instant pot and set it to 80 mins.
- Step 6 Once the time has run out, allow the instant pot pressure to do a natural pressure release (NAP), basically letting the instant pot do a natural release. At this point, you simply do not do anything.This will take 20 to 30 minutes to take place. Once the pressure indicator has fallen, it will be ready to open and enjoy.
NOW...Let's KICK IT UP! This particular version isn't spicy but the more Hot Sauce and/or Cajun seasoning you add the spicier it can be.
- 1 bag of Raw/Green Peanuts
- 1/3 cup of salt
- ½ cup of Hot Sauce – I used Frank’s; however, use your Hot Sauce preference
- 1 tbs of Cajun Seasoning
- Add 10 cups of water to the Instant Pot
- Add the sale, hot Sauce, and Cajun Seasoning to the water and stir
- Add the peanuts – be sure to rinse the peanuts good before adding to the Instant Pot mixture
- Use the Instant Pot rack to put on top of the peanuts to ensure that they stay submerged in the mix while cooking
- Pressure Cook for 90 minutes
- Once complete, allow the peanuts to stay in the Instant Pot, and I like to allow them to soak for hours to allow the peanuts time in the mixture. Enjoy!
Now that we have covered the two standards. Let's take a look at Hawaiian style. Yes, HAWAIIAN!!!
- 1 pound raw peanuts shell on
- 1/2 cup Hawaiian salt
- 8 cups water
- Rinse peanuts under running water to remove impurities.
- Pour peanuts, salt, and water in the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet and a bowl (any oven safe Pyrex, glass, or ceramic) over the peanuts to keep them submerged under the water. Cover and set to sealing.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 60 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 30 minutes.
- Remove inner pot and drain water. Cool and ENJOY!