Go crazy and make your own bold flavors with this light and airy buttercream frosting recipe.
- 1½ cups (340g/12oz) butter, at room temperature
- 5⅔ cups (680g/1lb 8oz) confectioners' sugar, sifted*
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
- pinch of salt
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using an electric hand mixer whip the butter until light and creamy for about 7-8 minutes on medium/high speed.
- Once the butter is pale in color and light slowly add in the sifted confectioners' sugar one spoon at a time on medium speed. Let the sugar fully incorporate before adding in more sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract, salt and milk or cream.
- Whip on high speed for another 3-4 minutes until very light, creamy, and fluffy.
- Add in the flavorings of your choice to create your desired flavor.
- 1/2 cup (21/2oz/75g) fresh or frozen strawberries, pureed and strained
- 1 1/3 cups (51/3oz/160g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting:
- 3 teaspoons mint extract
- 1/2 cup (3oz/90g) chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 drop green food coloring (optional)
Peanut butter Frosting:
- 3/4 cup (6oz/180g) smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract , total for the batch.
- Zest of 2 lemons